Silence

I’m sitting here on the banks of the Cape Fear River again, listening to the wind speak, and the river currents share memories of times present and times past. I’ve written so many stories in this place. It’s like a jailbreak of reflection every time I visit Southport, NC. I’m weeks in and know there is a story that wants out. I just don’t know what it is just yet. I’ve been avoiding sitting quietly, because I know if I start, an escape will happen. On the heels of the Life Line story, I’m not sure what will break free.
After each story I write, there is a peace that settles over me. I am free for a time, and I truly enjoy these moments. For the past months, I’ve been working on putting some of the stories in a new book called The Invisible Soul Anthology: Healing With Words. This call came in my story, Life Line.
Ava, my therapist, requested that I compile all my stories and search for clues to the journey of my healing. So, I did. That’s the reason this story has been delayed.
Silence…for months now has revealed a story that has been evolving.
As of late, I have not had the story develop in my mind as in times past. The content has been a simple few words, like this story. I am excited to write this next journey with you.
Well, here I am. Writing again, after months of silence. After the story Life Line broke, I was asked some hard questions. I answered with certainty that life lived in transparency is the real key. Many questions came from that story. In the end, it is truth that emerges and sets us free from those plans that are made to end our lives. The struggle is real for all of us. Mostly in silence. Some of your closest friends are with you and you never even know it.
Here’s what Amy, the book cover designer, wrote about the story, Life Line, and the book.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU for my copy of your book. Wow, it printed up NICE! I have been reading it (really re-reading it since I have read most of these, but it is so powerful to have them all together in one flowing piece. It’s just a miracle, really, how perfect this has turned out—and it is SUCH a ministry in itself).
I have so many words I’ve wanted to write and haven’t had the energy to make them come out of my fingertips. Mostly, I’m so sorry that I never saw how close to the click you were. Or maybe, if I’m honest, because I have lived so very, very close to the click for so many years. That is why we are so tight—and maybe I knew you were that close, but we don’t dare talk about these things? I don’t know which it is, but I’m sorry that I wasn’t there more for you. I am so thankful you have a great support system—mostly your perfect and sweet Lisa, but also that your girls know these things and you have Ava (I hope she is ok?) and that you heeded the pointing that Jesus has shown you to do the things and take the steps towards healing. I love you two so much, and the world needs you.
Your book and the way that you normalize (but not in a dismissive way, rather a permission to say something way) the healing process is profound…. You are saving lives, G. I am so proud of you.
For me, silence is the unforgiven. If you hear someone talking about their plan, their displeasure with this life, and their disgust with their being, then they are okay for now. The silence is the end. Looking back, after looking at each click I had heard in my life, I can see the signs now. It’s so clear to me now, and to some degree I do carry some guilt for not being that friend and that person that could have been there for them. In the end, I know that I can’t save the world, but I could have saved that one. Was I too busy, too attentive to my own plans and selfish ambitions?
Silence is not being there for those who are in need, but our plans get in the way and end up saying, “Oh well, so sorry for your loss,” too late.
Silence is not golden but death. If you are silent, then your fate is…NO! There is hope, an amazing grace that says you once were lost, but now you are found. We can sing a new song to the One who sits on heaven’s mercy seat. Jesus gives us hope that breaks through the silence. Some of you may have stopped reading just because I said the name of Jesus. I get it; I was once that person. It didn’t work for me either.
Sit with me for a minute and hear that I convinced myself that I was healed, not even realizing that I was worse than I have ever thought. Yes, I had all the right words, the right church clothes, made all the right choices, and inside I was getting more and more silent. Over the years, I learned to stop pleasing those in religion and take on a new relationship, one-on-one with the One. He, my creator, Jesus, knows me better than any human and directed my path into a story of hope, and a lifeline was thrown to me. It was up to me to reach for it, and I did.
It’s a twisted world we live in. Live in reality or live in this fake world that has been created. An alternate society has been created in our minds because of our addiction to our devices.
Where are we going, and what are we doing in this pace of societal fame? It seems we are desiring so much that we have lost the purpose of our existence on this earth. Our creation on this earth is not to be influencers of our own self-proclaimed fame but to be helpers of the kingdom and human saviors of those that need a hand up, a voice that speaks love to them, and an eye or a glance of love that will change the course of their plan. Our purpose is to speak life to those who need a hug, a kiss, a touch, and a word of love that will set them free from destruction.
The Word describes our lives as a vapor, a mist of sorts. Then what do we do in this mist? The mist is what matters, and what we do in this mist is all that matters. Who are we locking arms with in this life, and are we living under the sun or above the sun, with the Son?

Silence is begging for life. That’s the unheard here. Nobody is listening to the silence. We are too busy listening to all the noise of the influencers, the thirsty stories that steal our attention. Like it or not, the reels and the posts have taken over our lives. We are so engrossed in this unreal life that we can no longer hear the silence that brings this death, the unexpected, and the hidden struggles. The response is not even real now because we’ve become numb to the reality of what’s real and what has influenced our lives.
Silence is the reality of what takes our lives. I had someone who listened to me and showed me how to exit this path of death. The story of Life Line has caused me to evaluate the beginning of this silence and why we no longer hear.
I’ve noticed, and you have too, at every stoplight, restaurant, fuel station, grocery store, and doctor’s office visit; you can see the addiction. This influence has taken over our lives and caused the silence to be even greater. It’s louder than it’s ever been, but no one is listening.
The silence is taking lives right in front of us all. Who’s listening to the silence? Those are the ones who are inquiring about death, and death is happy to bring them into the family.
There is an escape of sorts in this story: break free of this addiction to influencers and these societal pressures to be there for them, but not there for us who are silent. Those who need the breath of a friend and a soft-spoken word, a hug, a smile, a friend indeed. A soul that will come alongside in real time and make a difference to someone who is silent. That will never make social media but will make the eternal change in the silent.
Be that change. Be that one that hears the silence and makes a difference.
Put your device down and listen to those of us who need you. Listen to those who are screaming but also silent. They are silent because we are not listening.
Listen to those who are in your lives, in your circle, and in your sight. Those in your mission field and those that you may have locked arms with at some point. Be there; just say “Yes, I am here.” Most of all, be on the lookout for that lifeline that is there. Open your eyes, get help!
No comments:
Post a Comment