Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Life of Love

Ephesians 5
1-2Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.

There are some things in life that we just can’t fake. In the end "love" really has no boundaries. I’m not sure how many times I’ve read these verses but today they seem to really hold me where I need to be. As I look around in our world, where is this love. I don’t want to come across judgmental in any way but just want to express to you all what I am seeing.

Where is this love that has no boundaries? Where is the love of giving oneself up for others? I’m just not sure. In recent months we have talked so much about love. The love that Christ has for us, the love that we have for Him, the love we have for our children, the love we have for our mates. Our culture has taught us that love is just another human emotion, we can turn it on and off. I am quick to say "I’m not sure about that now.

In the past I would have fought you on this. I will agree that love is the greatest of human emotions but how can we just say "I do or I don’t. I have been taught in my Christian walk that I have to love even when I don’t feel like loving, to always give this. It is true that we have to learn to love some things but in recent times I have seen people that I love. I do not know them, I have never met them, I have never spoken to them but I love them. Explain this, I ask myself.
I guess to start I will say to love with an unconditional heart it will be that of the Holy Spirit, a love that pours out even when you don’t feel like loving. A love that never ends, a love that can cross all boundaries, a love that is not judgmental, a love that doesn’t look at circumstances but at the person. I do not see this love as a human emotion but one of the Spirit of the living God. The Holy Spirit that lives in every Christian.

This being true, then why can’t we all love with this kind of love? I guess I will now say and introduce the world to us all. To learn to love as Christ did, then we will have to observe Him and how He reacted. I love the verses above, especially this, "mostly what God does is love you.
I will end by saying that it is the Holy Spirit in us that loves this way, a way that we can not explain at all apart from the word of God. The word says "Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. Let’s be extravagant with our love, to keep company with God is an awesome thing, talk to Him and learn this life of love.

I am not really sure of the point I am trying to make or even if there is a point. I guess what I’m saying is "life is so short and our time here is at an unpredictable end, so love, love everyone you meet, love your children, love your spouse, love your neighbor, love all those God puts in your path but more than anything in life love God and allow the Holy Spirit to love through you, this is a gift. Love the life God has given you.
George Beasley

No comments:

Was It Love or Was It...

  Was It Love or Was It... According to Wikipedia, betrayal is defined as “the breaking or violation of a presumptive contract , trust , ...