Monday, May 21, 2007

History


Isaiah 48
1-11 You have all this evidence confirmed by your own eyes and ears. Shouldn't you be talking about it?And that was just the beginning. I have a lot more to tell you, things you never knew existed.This isn't a variation on the same old thing. This is new, brand-new, something you'd never guess or dream up.When you hear this you won't be able to say, 'I knew that all along.'You've never been good listeners to me. You have a history of ignoring me,A sorry track record of fickle attachments— rebels from the womb.

But out of the sheer goodness of my heart, because of who I am, I keep a tight rein on my anger and hold my temper. I don't wash my hands of you. Do you see what I've done? I've refined you, but not without fire. I've tested you like silver in the furnace of affliction. Out of myself, simply because of who I am, I do what I do. I have my reputation to keep up. I'm not playing second fiddle to either gods or people.

Our independent history is deep rooted. Each of us were raised in a different way. That makes our history unique. Some of us have a "civil war" type history, some of us have a "southern bell" type history and some have a "rebel" type of history. The rebel is the most sought after of all the generations today. When we think of the word rebel we think of young people but this is not the case in reality. We all are rebels to a degree. We do what we want to do and then justify it by the means of our relationship with God. I guess what I am saying is we all have a different way of making our own history.

In the above scripture there is more than enough to tell us that we don’t have a good history of listening to God. We hear this preached week after week. So, why don’t we get the message?

I do believe that the first part of the verse that sums it up. God says "You have all this evidence confirmed by your own eyes and ears. Shouldn't you be talking about it? And that was just the beginning. I have a lot more to tell you, things you never knew existed.
In reading this it has become apparent to me that no matter what type of history you have, it is God who can change it. If we would just put all of our energy into God, focused on Him and Him alone for all the we have, then we would be able to say our history is dependent on God.

So, if you have a history of a civil war, a southern bell, or you are just a straight up rebel, put that history in the book where it belongs, let it go. It really doesn’t matter after God has opened your eyes to His great salvation.

If you wonder why you don’t see the wonders of God in your life, look inside and ask yourself "am I being independent of God, am I doing what I want and not what He wants? The answer doesn’t come easy, we are independent and have this thing of writing our own history.
George Beasley

No comments:

Oh Snap

  Oh Snap Oh snap! Before I knew it, I found myself at the bottom of a pit. It happened overnight, leaving me bewildered. I hadn’t experie...